Southdowns Manor is set in one of the most historic and unspoiled corners of England and the house itself has an interesting story.
Southdowns Manor was originally built as a two-storey house, with three striking bay windows, towards the end of the 19th century by the Hon John Jervis Carnegie (1807-1892), who had bought the neighbouring Fair Oak estate from the Paget family in about 1850. High Sheriff of Sussex in 1862, he was the third son of the 7th Earl of Northesk and his initials can be seen on the stone boundary post to the left of the Southdowns entrance.
The Northesk family retained the Fair Oak estate until recently; however, Southdowns Manor was sold before 1895, at which point the top floor and water tower were built. At that time it was the home of a German artist, Rudolf Blind and, later, of the Boys family. For many years the house was run as an independent school, becoming the Southdowns Guest House before the last war. During the war it provided a billet for members of the Royal Canadian Air Force.
The current owners purchased the building in the summer of 2013 and undertook an extensive refurbishment of the property, before opening its doors once again in December 2013, offering the venue for weddings on an exclusive-use basis.